Join our museum community marketplace
Are you looking for an online platform which charges you on the basis of what you actually sell instead of sending you a monthly bill? Do you want to quickly get your gift shop online and be able to accept online bookings within 24 hours? MuseumShops can deliver this for your organisation and more, all at an upfront cost of £0.
COVID2019 Update: We are reducing the rate of commission for all Partners to 10% for the duration of site closure during the outbreak. We have also opened our platform to process Gift Aid compatible Donations , charging only a minimum rate processing fee for these transactions.
Our service features:
- No joining or listing fees.
- A 12% commission (includes 2% payment gateway fee) is payable on the value of retail products only when you sell. Special offers may apply!
- No tie-in period.
- A calendarised Bookings system for time slot based admissions, guided tours and room hire. Priced at a variable, average based rate.
- A dual browse structure-customers can only see your products when entering via your homepage, or can be introduced to your products and organisation whilst browsing our site-wide index.
- An easy-to-use listing process minimises time spent managing your shop, allowing you more time building your sales strategy.
- Coupon codes for special offers.
- A stock & sales control system with Google Analytics summaries.
- A marketing budget-we will actively market your products to our customer database and to social media.
- A secure purchasing and refund system, to ensure smooth transactions and customer satisfaction.
- Full compliance with UK ecommerce law automatically included.
- A Vendor Vacation mode to temporarily close your shop for stock-take or during staff absence.
- Continually updated software with new features rolled out every year.
‘We’ve had our first visitors through, and without any prompting they said that booking online was really easy. Perfect!’ – The Green Howards Museum.
MuseumShops Bookings is now live! Partners joining the site now receive access to the Bookings feature which we have launched in response to the sector’s requirements imposed by Covid19. MuseumShops Bookings is a flexible system which enables the following:
- Booking variable priced individual tickets by time slot for General Admission or Special Exhibitions.
- Inclusion of optional extras such as Gift Aid or catering options.
- Bookings for Group visits.
- Booking of Room Hire, Weddings, Birthday Parties and more using the same system.
- Link in products from your retail offering such as a guidebook.
- Manage multiple booking types from across multiple sites using our adaptive calendar.
- Optional confirmation of bookings before acceptance of payments.
- Storing of customer data for track and trace.
Pricing for MuseumShops Bookings is based on a flexible rate commission. Bookings that are not charged are Free to list.
If you’d like some more information, please fill out the form and we’ll be in touch.
Currently we are open to Museums, Historic Houses, Libraries, Art Galleries and Science Centres based in the United Kingdom or Crown Dependencies, however if your organisation is not in the UK and would be interested in listing with us then please get in touch to see how we can help you in future.
What MuseumShops Can Do For You
MuseumShops aims to reduce the costs of creating and operating an online shop, letting you focus on presenting your products to potential customers. We do not charge upfront or ongoing monthly fees, instead taking a 12% commission only when you sell. This incentivises us to help your products reach customers as opposed to other platforms which charge you regardless of your sales performance.
By providing a marketplace website with a wide range of choice, we provide an attractive destination for online shoppers and we aim to help you match and exceed the UK-wide average of 18% (and growing) as the online share of your overall retail revenues.
Each organisation that joins us receives a unique shopfront page to display your products, customisable to match your branding, with our own kept to a minimum. Customers on the site can browse via a general index of products, introducing them to your organisation and its offering, potentially inspiring them to visit in future. Alternatively customers can browse by Individual Shop, using browsing features such as our Search Bar and Price Slider, or narrowing down options through the use of selectable Categories.
Special offers, membership discount codes for your Friends groups, back office sales charts, SKU inventory management, MuseumShops offers all these features and more!
If you need any advice with the process of setting up an online shop them MuseumShops is happy to help. We can introduce you to retail photographers at a specially discounted rate and provide tailored advice about which products to upload.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a brochure and further details, or review some of our key terms below before making an application.
To list products with us we ask that you be open to the public on a regular basis, with at least ten products ready to list and the capacity to dispatch within three working days. Exceptions to these rules may be considered on a case by case basis.
Individuals and commercial companies unaffiliated with Museums, Galleries, etc, are not permitted to sell through MuseumShops.
- All partners will be provided with a seller account and unique homepage within the site.
- Social media accounts may be linked, as may main museum websites and visitor information pages. Links to other online shops are strictly not permitted.
- Our general website service is offered with a zero-upfront fee policy. However certain optional service extras incur charges, as agreed between the Partner and MuseumShops.
- The sales contract is directly between the Seller and the Customer with MuseumShops acting as an agent.
- There is no limit to the number of products you can upload. However we would recommend items that are either branded or unique to you (or not likely to be listed by another on the site) so as to best stand out in a marketplace environment.
- May not function properly if your browser is no longer supported.
- All products and images must be to a good standard, for more details see our Product Policy annex of the Full Terms and Conditions.
- Shipping rates are set by the seller, but all items ordered must be dispatched within three (3) working days following the receipt of an order. Repeated failure to dispatch within this time frame may incur an overdue charge from MuseumShops of £5 per working day.
- Partners maintain full control of their Product listing and undertake to manage their homepage. However MuseumShops maintains full discretion over the appearance of the site.
- VAT registration is recommended for Partners.
- Ensure that they adhere to all regulations and customs requirements regarding the sale of products including food stuffs in the country to which they are selling and or dispatching items.
- If dispatching products with electrical components designated with the WEEE recycling emblem (a crossed out bin), please ensure that you have a system in place to allow for recycling returns as envisioned by the WEEE directive.
- MuseumShops charges a 12% commission on the value of retail products listed, not inclusive of Shipping fees.
- Commission on Bookable products is charged at a flexible rate between 5-10% depending on average transaction value.
- Commission is deducted immediately upon Customer payment and the balance forwarded to the Seller account.
- It is preferred that all Partners create an account with Stripe, this being the payment gateway used for MuseumShops, and ensure that they meet all the relevant terms and conditions for Stripe Connect as set out here https://stripe.com/gb/connect-account/legal.
- In the event of a customer being unsatisfied with their order and requesting a refund, the Seller undertakes to reimburse the Customer the full amount. The Stripe transaction charge (2% of the commission) cannot be reclaimed, but no secondary charge is made for refunds processed.
- MuseumShops does not store customer or client financial information on its servers.
- In the event of Stripe not being usable for your organisation, MuseumShops undertakes to provide a backup option in which the funds from Customer purchases shall be deposited into its account, and the Seller shall receive a sales statement from MuseumShops every three months.
Marketing & Promotions
- Logos and images provided by Partners are licensed for use by MuseumShops for marketing purposes.
- From time to time MuseumShops will run special promotions and discounts across the site. On signing up to join, Sellers must indicate the degree they wish to participate in such programs, which shall in return be reciprocated by MuseumShops with preferential product placement on the site front page and in promotional campaigns.
- Partners shall undertake not to retain the personal data of customers, nor use it for any purpose except for the dispatch of ordered items.
- From time to time and in compliance with data protection regulations MuseumShops may grant access to Mailing lists for Marketing purposes, any and all data provided must be deleted on request by MuseumShops.
If you are interested in our service and meet these terms, please get in contact via email@example.com to see how we can help you. Currently we are only open to institutions based in the United Kingdom, however if your organisation is not in the UK and would be interested in listing with us then please get in touch to see how we can help you in future.
If you are ready to join, please review our full terms and conditions then click the Apply Now button. On receipt of your completed form we will check to ensure you meet the above terms and contact you directly to discuss our service before issuing you with an account.