The custom of wearing a white hackle originated in 1702 when the 23rd became known as the Fusiliers. It was continued up to and including the busby, but it was not considered suitable for wear with caps. With the introduction of the blue berets in 1950 its use was permitted as a distinction for Fusilier regiments.
The Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum is an independent, registered charity, inside Caernarfon Castle. We rely on grant, donations, and visitor support to carry out our mission to preserve, promote, and educate on the history of the Regiment and remember those who served our country. Proceeds from shopping on our site, booking tours, and purchasing tickets to events go towards care for over 20,000 objects in the collection, providing educational opportunities for schools, groups and international audiences, maintaining the museum, and outreach programs to the community.
The mission of the Royal Welch Fusiliers Museum is to:
To maintain a leading international Regimental Museum which portrays the story of over 300 years of service by members of the Royal Welch Fusiliers through exhibitions, education, research, and programs.
To assist in keeping the modern Army and the successor Regiment relevant and to increase public awareness of them.
To collect objects and documents relating to the history of the Regiment.
To conserve and document all archives and documents we collect.
To make the archives and reserve collection accessible to researchers and for educational purposes.
As a nonprofit organization, shopping on our site is one way you can help support our mission.
Ready to ship in 1-3 business days from United Kingdom (UK)